HE LOVES ME/ HE LOVES ME NOT; HOW CAN I TELL?

LOVE LESSONS FROM JACOB: ‘Now Jacob loved Rachel……’

(Gen 29: 18a) – Part 6b

In some cultures, when issues on barreness arise ,it is usually the woman that bears the brunt of it all not the man, Sadly, I have heard of stories where the man is even encouraged by his own family to take on a new wife and get rid of the one who is unable to produce children and the poor wife is chased out from her matrimonial home. She dare not speak like Rachel otherwise that would even cause more problems. However, Jacob did not react in such a manner even though he was angry with Rachel. He did not in any way use words that would have made Rachel feel any less secure in his love for her because of her condition. Even though Jacob was angry, Rachel was still able to express her need and opinion on the matter and    even after Jacob had answered her angrily. Jacob in return listened to what she wanted and complied, understanding her vulnerability. (Gen 30:3-4).

Eph 4:26 states.’ Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil’

Jacob was angry but, in his anger, he did not sin and I say this because of his response to Rachel. Rachel was clearly in the wrong by what she said however Jacob exercised self- control and did not answer her in the same manner he was spoken to blaming her for the situation they were in neither did he bring up the issue again after that incident.

Proverbs 14:1 says this about a woman; ‘The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her hands’.

Rachel had just said something that if not for Jacob’s understanding nature could have brought chaos to her home.

We have been taught as women that whenever there is a problem in a marriage it should always be the responsibility of the wife to bring about change in her home and marriage and not the husband having to step up to bring about order and peace in the home, so it was refreshing for me to see this displayed in the marriage of Jacob and Rachel where Jacob had to step up to bring order in the marriage

He was indeed a man of substance and faith and one does not have to look far to see where he developed such qualities. He was the son of Isaac whose birth was one that was extraordinary as his grandparents Abraham and Sarah were well advanced in years before his Father Isaac was born. I believe hearing the story from his father and grandfather must have instilled in him a solid faith in God. 

My Lovely ladies this is the lesson I want to draw out: A man who loves you would learn to manage your weaknesses and support you. He will not place you on a pedestal with high expectations or embarrass you when you fall short. Rachel was not perfect, she could be weak emotionally, she was envious of her sister, she was moody, she had a sharp tongue however, Jacob though angry still loved her and covered her weakness preventing her from driving herself more into a depressive state. The Bible says love covers a multitude of sins. A man who loves you might not always agree with you but would try to understand your perspective. Look out for those qualities in a man.

1 Peter 3:7 says ‘Husbands likewise dwell with them with understanding, giving them honour to the wife, as the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered.

This is one verse that I have not heard much preaching on however it is important to note that in this verse the link to answered prayer for a man is tied to HOW THE MAN TREATS HIS WIFE NOT HOW A WIFE TREATS HER HUSBAND. This does not mean that a woman should do nothing to keep the peace however I believe there is a point here that should be taken: The Bible says the man is the head of the home therefore this means he takes the lead and should be the initiator making sure his household is in order covering his family with prayer and treating his wife with consideration 1 Tim 3: 2-4 also makes this clear. As a lady, be careful of any man that takes no responsibility about anything in the home but leaves you to carry the burden alone.

TRUE LOVE BELIEVES ALL THINGS AND HOPES IN ALL THINGS

We all can now see a clear picture of how Jacob's behaviour and response opened the door to victory despite his wife’s weak faith and lack of trust in God to come through for her at a point. Jacob held things together for Rachel’s sake. His response to Rachel showed that he was a man who saw God’s perspective in everything and had learned to trust God with all his heart. He had done that when he was searching for a wife and continued to do so even in his marriage. And in Gods time they received an answer to their problem.

Gen 30: 22- 24 says:

‘Then God remembered Rachel, and God listened to her and opened her womb.  And she conceived and bore a son, and said, “God has taken away my reproach so she called his name Joseph, and said, “The Lord shall add to me another son.”     

Indeed, we serve a gracious God and a loving father, who hears our cries when we call, and is never late so long as we continue to trust him.

I’ll end with this quote:

“War - It’s been a part of humanity in every age. 

We fight for power, for riches, for rights or for freedom. There always seems to be something to fight for but one thing has remained true of every war: Behind the field of battle someone has developed a strategy.

I find myself amazed that of the many battles we engage in be it money, control or matters of the heart very few of us know how to fight the right way or understand who we’re really fighting against.

To win any battle, you’ve got to have the right strategy and resources because victories do not come by accident “(From the Movie- War Room)

Now Jacob loved Rachel ……. SELAH   

1 comment,1 shares,8 likes
prophetrb
about 2 months

this is well said and i love it